Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sweet Treats

I'm photo-inspiration challenged. I spent my first few months on the blog challenge circuit avoiding anything to do with creating from a photo. For example, here's this week's Photo Challenge at Papercraft Star:


Go HERE to see the spectacular work the DT did with this photo! You will be amazed!
Very cool don't you think? Here's what I've learned to do with these photo challenges. Instead of taking in the entire photo as inspiration, I look for individual components that I like. In this case, I really like the wallpaper, the yellow/brown color combo, and those perfectly delicious looking little cupcakes on the left. (thoughts of lightly whipped lemon cream frosting come to mind!). I also like that very subtle splash of orange/tangarine color on the center cake. Now, I'm on to something that inspires me and I proceed to look through my supplies. In this case, I created these 3x3 gift cards and candy boxes:





So, just by choosing a few bits of inspiration and going for it, I stuck with the color scheme, some of the texture and shape, and stayed with the "sweet treats" theme of the photo! One of these days I'm bound to catch a photo in its entirety and create on a larger scale, but for now, I'm good! Afterall, they aren't called "challenges" for nothing!

Come on over to Papercraft Star and give it a try! Not all challenges are photo oriented. They mix it up with sketches, color pallettes, lyrics, special occassions, etc. Hope to see you there!

Supplies used:
Basic cardstock: yellow
Doodlebug: White embossed cardstock
Cupcake Stamp: Close To My Heart D1332
Happy Birthday Stamp: MPS
Just for You Stamp: unknown (sorry)
Nugget Stamp Set: Clear Dollar Stamps Set #5524
Twine: bulk cut from LSS
Ink and Emboss Powder: CTMH / Cocoa
Hershey Nuggets
Office Max Address Labels
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Well, you are not photo inspiration-challenged at all! This set is wonderful!! I absolutely love the splash of red - perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable gift idea, so cute! Thank you for playing along with us at Papercraft Star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photo challenges are just for whatever YOU take from it, and this is absolutely wonderful !! If someone gave me this, with all the work and love in it, I would probably burst into tears. You did a great job, and even if you only take a teeny thing from a picture, you are still right on track !!! We always love having you with us at Papercraft Star, Marg !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute cute cute. love what you came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a cute idea! LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I used to avoid those photo challenges like the plague cause I just didn't know where to go with them. You used the perfect approach and came up with a totally adorable project! Thanks for sharing your thought process and your beautiful gift set with us at Papercraft Star!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Tator Patch!