Friday, April 1, 2016

RB Hop: Flashback!





Welcome to our Stamp of the Month Blog Hop!

If you just came from Lynn's Bungalow I'm sure you loved what she shared (I loved the sneak peek she shared this week!) We Rose Blossoms hop in a circle so you start anywhere and land right back where you began! 

***********************************
The second I laid eyes on the April Stamp of the Month "Life in Pictures" my mind flashed back to my Dad who was a camera buff and designated family shutterbug! This stamp set is a keeper for me and I hope it is for you too! It's available HERE until April 30th





I managed to find two photos of my Dad doing what I remember him doing at every family event ... snapping photos! I used both those pics plus one more to create this page:


It's funny how this stamp set triggered so many childhood memories! 
I used the Urban color palette and tons of ink to create a retro/vintage look.

The journal text is contained in two flip flaps that I trimmed down to fit my space perfectly.
The cameras are stamped on Saffron card stock and inked in Saddle
I used a sponge dauber and Saddle ink to make the Gold Sequins appear bronze.

In case you're interested, here's that journal entry:

I don’t think scientists have identified a “shutterbug” gene but I’m pretty sure there must be one! Aside from his love of a good joke, my Dad seemed to be the family photographer. Dad always had some of the newest cameras available. Photos, home movies, and slide shows were the norm for us. I remember the near blinding light of the early flashbulbs, and the excitement flash cubes created! There were also numerous trips to the local Foto Mat to get film developed.
 
I can still hear the low hum and click of the 8mm film reel as it projected home movies onto the pop-up screen in our living room. I was there when Dad brought home his Polaroid Instamatic. Everyone had to try it out! I realize now how revolutionary that camera was at the time.
 
These days, I’m the one sporting the camera. I love documenting everything from big events to everyday life. 
 
While I may not have been very close to my Dad, I at least feel connected to him through photography. It may not be genetic, but most likely just a desire to capture moments, preserve smiles, and hang on to things we hold dear. Pretty sure he’d be ecstatic about digital photography. I’d also like to think he’d appreciate that I use photos to tell my story … and a little of his too.
Thanks for the “shutterbug gene” Dad!



My "Flashback" to childhood will grace a spot in my craft room thanks to our 


**Thanks so much for hopping with the Rose Blossoms**
We'll be back on April 15th with inspiration yet to be determined!

Your next stop is to visit our very own talented, "tweet", and wildly successful ...... 




7 comments:

  1. This layout is sooo PERFECT! I love the vintage feel you gave to all the details. and how perfect to use that photo of your dad with camera to go along with these stamps. Well-done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to your father and vintage was the perfect way to highlight the pictures and memories. I like how you put the journaling in trimmed flip flaps with a stamped camera in front of it. Great technique execution too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. This page easily moved to the top of my favorites list. I love the detail, the flip flaps, the alphabets, but I mostly love the heart and love of photos that went into this layout. Great job, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This layout is so fantastic! I love how you created the vintage look with the cameras and added even more distressing to the photos, sequins and page - it looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this layout!!! Love the vintage feel you achieved and will have to be trying your technique! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So ... Your journaling made me cry and this layout it a beautiful tribute as well. I love it all. I have some of these same kinds of childhood memories of the ever changing camera. (Bonus ... I used to work at Fotomat.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marg, this layout is PRICELESS! The photos, your journaling...and the perfect way you used these vintage cameras to create such a meaningful page. It is just so wonderful. It made me cry. This is what scrapping is all about...and this is why I scrapbook!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Tator Patch!