Sunday, June 10, 2012

Take Twelve: Mom's New Place

I have to admit I've been taking my sweet old time with  May's Take Twelve layout. I blamed it on a "creative block", limited crafting time, and other projects that needed to get done. Truth is, I was undergoing "papercraft therapy". I just wanted to hold onto the day, take it in, and keep it to myself for just a little while.

You see, I have this theory that scrapbooking is actually therapeutic sometimes. It has helped me focus, reflect, sort through joy and sorrow, prioritize, and reconnect. For example, here's a page I did when I was missing my Florida grandkids on their first day of school: http://ididnthavepotatoes.blogspot.com/2010/08/papercraft-therapy.html

Fast forward to last month .....
On May 12th I spent the afternoon with my mother. She was just settling into her new apartment in a senior living complex. While my siblings and I all knew this was an exceptionally good move for her, its still difficult to grasp the fact that she's no spring chicken. I have to face it, she's "gettin' up there".

On my way up to her apartment from the lobby it occurred to me that I couldn't remember the last time I spent one on one time with my mother. I am the oldest of eight kids so those moments were rare while I was growing up. As an adult, our time was shared in the company of family, or I was accompanied by one of my own children. I knew as I approached her door that this visit was not only rare, but very, very special.

She greeted me with a hug and proudly gave me a tour of the new digs. She especially loves the view from her living room window. We talked a while. I hung a new shower curtain, demonstrated how to use the Swiffer mop, and made a run for her mail. All very minor, everyday things .... or so it would seems.

You see, during the course of this simple visit, I was reminded of a few things. This is a woman with some physical limitations and a strong will. She loves taking notes and still has beautiful handwriting. Flowers make her day. She reads her daily devotions and loves a good joke. The daily mail is important to her, and so is staying away from the doctor. She has a good heart and raised her children to love and respect family above all else. She misses Dad just as much now as she did eleven years ago.

Without going into more detail, and wanting to keep my emotions in check, I will say this: Moments like this are far and few between. I'm afraid I may not have this opportunity again so I will cherish this one afternoon with Mom for the rest of my life.

She was kind enough to allow some photos. Here's what I did with them:




I attached this 3x3 card to the layout.
It contains a personal note I wrote to Mom.


So you see, scrapbooking isn't always about the big stuff. If we learn to recognize extraordinary moments happening in our everyday lives, snap a few shots, and document our thoughts ......  then we record real life.

Supplies used by Close To My Heart.

This layout will be submitted to Better Living Through Scrapbooking
Challenge Theme: Mom


Thanks for stopping by.
As always, comments are encouraged and appreciated here at the Tator Patch!





2 comments:

  1. This post brought tears to my eyes! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so special and moving. More tears here, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Tator Patch!