Monday, October 20, 2014

Scrapbooker's Blog Tour


Happy Monday one and all! Welcome to the Scrappy Blog Tour. I was nominated by both Lynn Darda of "From My Bungalow" and Shelly Nemitz from "Just One Pretty Piece" to answer a few questions about the "hows and what-nots" that happen in my crafty life. {Thank you ladies!}

I met both these lovely ladies through my association with Close To My Heart. We've all had the pleasure of meeting in-person at group events. I admire both of them for their unique, individual styles and am always inspired by their art! {very cool they thought of me for this little interview}

So, without further ado, here's the first Q&A session ever held at The Tator Patch!


What am I working on right now?

I have several projects going on right now. With craft fair season upon us, I'm preparing gift items that involve candles, k-cups, cards, and tags. I do however, at this moment, have a layout on my desk that I'm putting the finishing touches on:


I've sorted through and picked some of my favorite summer photos and placed them on layouts I prepared in March. I call these my "photo-ready" layouts. I have six 2-page layouts in total that highlight some of my favorite photos of Summer 2014.

My next layouts will bring me into the Fall season with the cheering and football pics you see on my desk.  I don't have any sports related layouts at the ready. With five active g-kids I never know what they'll be up to next! I have the pics laying out on my desk in plain view so I can sort of roll a few ideas around in the back part of my brain {the creative part, NOT the part telling me I still need to get on the treadmill tonight}.


How long does it take me to create a project?

That is entirely dependent on the project itself. Generally, I complete a digital layout in less than 30 minutes. My traditional pages take anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on if I'm trying a new technique or using a new tool for the first time. 




As for album projects, well that's a whole different story. I've spent the better part of the last 18 months creating childhood/school albums for my two sons {now ages 31 and 32}.  It will be nice to gift the finished projects to them this coming Christmas. Not to mention that "Whew! Thank goodness I finally got that done" feeling when I cross it off my "to-do" list!

What are my favorite things to create with at the moment?

Aside from my outrageous love for paper?  Baker's Twine has been a long standing favorite and isn't leaving my supply stash anytime soon. Washi Tape, the current Stamp of the Month from Close To My Heart, tiny clothes pins, and googlie eyes have all been hot commodities in recent weeks. Truth be told, googlie eyes are not seasonal in my world. They show up year 'round and are always good fun!

I'm looking forward to the coming weeks when glitter paper and Cricut cut snowflakes will move onto every horizontal surface in my craft space {and beyond}.

How does my process work?

I go at scrapbooking from two angles:

1. I feed my need for chronological memory keeping with digital scrapbooking. My "Year in Review" albums document family, friends, and milestones along with glimpses of everyday life, our home, and even a recipe or two. It's our story and I'm stickin' to it!

2. My traditional paper scrapbooking is devoted to very personal, dig-in-deep stuff. For instance, I have on-going albums for each of my g-kids. These albums contain pages that are specific to that particular grandchild. The layouts are almost never about an event, but rather about them. Most of the journaling is written directly to them, sort of like a letter. The purpose of these albums is to let them know how special and loved they are. 



I also enjoy creating paper layouts for blog challenges, and mini albums. I have the luxury of spending time on my paper layouts without feeling the pressure of trying to be "caught up" because I'm using digital technology {Studio J} to document family life in general.

Truly, paper scrapping is my first love and I'm enjoying it more than ever. I get to tell my chronological story via digital and share my heart with loved ones via personalized albums and gifts.



How do I become and stay inspired?

Any number of things can trigger a creative episode! It might be a magazine cover, music, patterned fabric, a fellow crafter's art, a walk around the block, chocolate, wine {did I actually just say that?} ..... you get the drift.

I'm often inspired by a photo that draws a strong emotional reaction. In other words, I love the photo, and it tells a story. The page idea and  journaling just seems to pop right up in my head.  





As for staying inspired:  I'm in the habit of surrounding myself with little bits of "happy". A happy scrapper is a productive scrapper ..... at least in my crafty brain! Inspiration comes when you least expect it and from some unusual sources. {ie Gumby and Pokey}

What is my signature style?

Okay. This is the tough question. I tend to prefer clean lines with small spurts of embellishments. However, I love going outside the box and think it's very important to do so from time to time. That's when I'll get adventurous with layers, embossing, a flash of bling, and a touch of grunge. I guess you could say that I'm sort of a party girl .... I work in my box most of the time but when I wander out, all bets are off!

So there you have it friends. Hope this was somewhat insightful, or at least left you just shaking your head in dismay!

I will confirm my nominees for the Scrapbooker's Blog Tour later on Tuesday and will update this post when I receive word from my three perfectly wonderful picks.


Enjoy your week and remember .... you can find inspiration in the most unusual places!






3 comments:

  1. Great! Love the idea for the grandkid's albums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! Your desk is so clean and I am a bit envious of that. Your grandchildren layouts are always so hearfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post...such a nice look into you! I have always loved that you are a true memory keeper!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Tator Patch!