Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How To: Set Up a Layout

Just thought I'd do a quick post on how I go about setting up my layouts. This "mock-up" method works especially well for me when:
1. there are multiple photos to arrange.
2. there are certain elements required for a challenge entry
3. I'm using a sketch or page map
4. I want to "play" before I actually cut paper or handle photos

For this example I'm using this sketch from Crop & Create:
I keep a stash of "place mats" on hand. You can get the skinny on these by popping over to THIS POST

I decided to make a 2-page 12x24 layout with the sketch. I'm going to use Desert Sand cardstock for my background, 5-2x3 photos, and 1-4x6 photo on top of a 5x7 mat:


I place additional papers and start playing around with borders and tags:


Things start coming together fairly quickly and pretty soon I have a really good idea of what I want to use for embellishments.

There will be a few more adjustments I make during the final assembly process, but all the foundation pieces are in place and now .... it's time to have fun placing the photos, maybe a stamped image, a little bling here and there ....

I'll be posting the finished layout in a separate post because I'll be using it as a challenge entry at Heart 2 Heart and Lasting Memories.
The papers you see me using in this tutorial are from the new, lovely Pemberley Level 2 pack from Close To My Heart.
Other Helpful Tools:

1766 Dotto Dots Dispenser  margvp.myctmh.com
This convenient glue dispenser allows you to lay down Dotto glue dots in any length. Your material may be repositioned without causing damage. Glue can be removed with gentle rubbing and is archival safe. Acid free. EK Success®



I use small disc magnets to hold my pieces in place on a We R Memory Keepers magnetic cutting mat. I purchased mine at Archiver's. I've seen them online as well. Watch for the sales and use those coupons!


I love my retractable cloth measuring tape. These can be purchased from any fabric or craft department for as little as $2.00. This handy dandy tool is on my table and within reach at all times.


I keep misc border pieces and plain-jane shipping tags on hand to use for mock elements. These give me some idea of what size or length I like before I design and cut the real elements.



Thanks for stopping by!
As always ..... comments are welcome and appreciated!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Tator Patch!